Wednesday, January 29, 2014

One(ish) Month

This past month has been c.r.a.z.y.

A few days after we got Luyana in China, we could tell something was up with her medically and developmentally, more than we had hoped. There was a doctor there also adopting and he started talking to us about Luyana's Cerebral Palsy, as if it was just common knowledge that she had it. We had thought it was a possibility, but didn't really think about it much until he talked to us. In China, when she ran, her body would turn completely sideways as if one side was dragging the other side along. When she walked, it was like one leg was stronger than the other. When she tried to climb up or down stairs, she crumpled. One night, I just panicked about it all. If it was true, I didn't know what that meant for her future and I was really freaking out. I emailed a few people who I knew would pray for us. I don't really know what they prayed, but I know what happened. Yesterday she was zipping through the house, and running as straight as could be. No more side running, no more leg lagging, and she's starting to build muscle in her legs and can climb stairs with assistance (!!!!!!). Our doctor said, "I don't see any CP."

BUT, when we had our first doctor's appointment, he noticed what we noticed, something is up with this girl...something more. He didn't think it was CP, he thought she had a certain syndrome. Again, we knew the possibility of a syndrome, but we really didn't want it to be THIS ONE. It would involve years of injections and medications, monitoring of many different organs and body systems, with many social and emotional implications. It was so overwhelming to think about, we didn't even share it with many people.

This morning I woke up CRANKY. Going from one child to two is hard. Adoption is HARD. Two toddlers....well, I don't recommend it. Even more than that, I don't recommend ever attempting to take a photo of two toddlers together and expect anything good to come of it. It will always end up like this:



(And then sometimes, when you want to do a blog post, you just put those 2 moody toddlers down for naps crazy early and hope for the best.)

The doctor's office called early this morning and my cranky self answered the phone. Her chromosome testing, they said, NORMAL. She doesn't have that syndrome. It was like someone pulled a plug and all of this emotional pressure just released. I looked over at Luyana who was eating her second breakfast and smiled while I was on the phone, she smiled back and waved 'hi'. Like I said, adoption is not easy, but I'm holding on to this moment like I'd hold on to a million dollars. Amazing medical news and a returned smile (this is a new development with her!).

So now we're on to figure what really is going on with Luyana. A few weeks ago it was confirmed that she has congenital scoliosis, which we had assumed she had from the start. We're waiting to be referred to a specialist to see what needs to be done next...bracing? Surgery? We don't know yet. The other things that caused the doctor to wonder about the syndrome will need to be looked into as well, but I'm very hopeful and optimistic. I'm so ready to get this medical stuff figured out and do whatever it is we need to do for this kiddo!

I went back and forth about whether or not to share this information publically, but I want to because I know some people who read this may be interested in adoption. And maybe I can persuade you to look into China Special Needs adoption?! Yes, its scary. Its been scary since the moment we read her file and realized how many unknowns there were. Yes, its hard. I cry almost every day. But then this morning, Luyana wanted to eat her cereal on my lap and even laid her head on my chest twice. This is monumental for her and for us. And those moments, the smiles, the initiation of physical affection, the blossoming of this precious one, it has to be worth it. It is worth it. And I know that more hard times are to come, but with them, even greater strides toward healing for us all.

I missed the one month anniversary of having Luyana. I'm pretty sure that day ended up being one of those stay-in-your-pjs-don't-have-time-to-brush-teeth, please-let's-all-just-get-along kind of days and I didn't have the energy or the ability to post photos and celebrate (although it is absolutely worth celebrating!). So, I bring to you the transformation:  First photo is Luyana in her orphanage, the second is Luyana on the day we got her, and the last is Luyana now (ok, the last 4 pictures, I had a hard time picking!). The crazy, loud, fun, active, playful, brilliant girl that we are learning to love more and more every day.









5 comments:

  1. She's precious!
    We are considering sn china adoption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh anonymous, if I knew who you were, we could talk about it :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for keeping us updated so we know how to pray. She is SO blessed to be here and with you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing to watch these children blossom and bloom! And she is definitely blooming; her smile is so radiant and joyful! And God is able! I see it every day in Haleigh as well!

    ReplyDelete