When we were home, I'd show Lu pictures and video from the orphanage and she'd point out herself only. I'd point to nannies and other children and ask in Mandarin and English, "Zhe shi shui? Who is this?" No response. She'd point back to herself in the photo and say her Chinese name. 2 1/2 years and she can't even tell me who they are? It didn't seem right.
This past Saturday I decided to give it another shot. I opened the picture files on my computer and called Lulu over. She climbed up on my lap and started looking intently at the one nanny that is pictured most in the photos....."YEYE!!!" She cried, very excitedly. My mind started turning...yeye can mean grandma in Chinese...I remembered that they called some of the nannies grandma. "This is Yeye?" I asked her. She beamed and I showed her more of the same woman. "Yeye! Yeye!" I was blinking back tears and I pulled up a video. At first Lulu is with some other nannies in the video and then Yeye comes over and Lulu practically jumps off the couch, "Yeye come!!!"
Mark then came over and said to Lu, "Do you love Yeye?" She nodded yes emphatically with a huge smile on her face. At this point, its all I can do to keep myself from curling up on the floor and sobbing. She was loved and she loved. And maybe she was only loved for an hour a day, but I just needed to know that someone, before us, realized her worth.
It took me about 3 minutes to upload all the pictures of Yeye and send them off to be printed. Yeye is framed in Lu's bedroom and Lu has a little book with photos of Yeye in it that she can carry around. I wish so much that Yeye had come to say goodbye to Lu; I don't know why she didn't and I probably won't ever know why.
The first couple of months were such a hard adjustment for all of us. Luyana in particular, of course. Was she grieving Yeye? Was it too hard for her to look at those pictures at first? Her little mind couldn't yet sort it out, I'm sure. I'm so glad now we can bring the memory of Yeye into our home and cherish it. THANK YOU YEYE, wherever you are, thank you for loving my daughter.
Lulu, 22 months old, and Yeye
Lulu, almost 2 years old, and Yeye playing outside
Yeye helping Lulu cut her birthday cake
Yeye and Lulu, one month before she joined our family
Precious photos! And I know just how you felt! I don't think Haleigh had a connection to anyone at her orphanage, nannies or even other kiddos and it has made it a LONG road for her to learn to love and accept love. On the other hand, we are there now! The road was long, but we still got there! Another mom reminded me that at least someone cared enough to prepare her adoption paperwork to give her a chance at a family and I comfort myself with that! These pictures are just priceless. So glad you have them!
ReplyDeleteWow. Wow. Praise the Lord for all the Yeye's out there who don't have to love extravagantly, but choose to.
ReplyDelete