Monday, August 19, 2013

extra paperwork, extra fees, no problem

Remember when I told you that the first time we wanted to view Luyana's file (back in February) we were told no? The reason was that our agency has a child spacing policy that the adopted child must be at least 9 months younger than your youngest child. Luyana is only 6 months younger than Camden. When we were finally allowed to view her file, we were told that it might not work out for several reasons; one reason being the age issue. We had to request a waiver from the agency by explaining that we would not raise them like twins. Amazingly enough, we were approved for the waiver several hours after we submitted it! I thought that was all over...until last night! I was looking at my home study for something and I realized it said we were approved for a child "no less than 9 months younger" than Camden. I emailed the agency and was told we need the case worker to write an addendum, we need to submit more paperwork to immigration, and pay $360 to submit that paperwork.

UGH. $360?!? I emailed the bad news to Mark. Whine, complain, moan about our lack of good fortune (pun intended).

Then Mark reminded me of how God had already provided this money in the last week through these means:

1. Mark's mom held a garage sale to raise money for our adoption and yesterday gave us the $285 she had earned.
2. Slowly, as we've been able to afford it, we are making a room in our basement into a play room. Our carpet guy was terrible, so we were looking for another one when I was reminded (hello!) that my cousin's husband does flooring. We hired him and saved $47 on the installation by using him (thanks Caleb!)
3. My mom's friend was selling a twin bed. And since our Little Buddy prefers to sleep on the hardwood floor, wrapped in a rug, we thought maybe he was feeling cramped in his toddler bed. She was selling it for $30. When we went to pick it up, she gave it to us for free and said to put the money toward our adoption. (Thanks Lisa K.!)

Drumroll please....grand total of $362. Exactly what we needed, plus $2 (which Mark said we were going to use to buy sodas).

Amazing reminder that God knows what we need before we even know it!

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, I love it. So inspirational. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is good! Thrilled for the blessings in your life! :)

    ReplyDelete